Monday, August 6, 2007

Beer can chicken - where have you been all my life?

A few weeks back I picked up a vertical "beer can" chicken roaster, stashed it in the garage and forgot about it until tonight. I used it for the first time and let me tell you, it was the best roasted chicken I've ever made!!! Here is what my new favorite kitchen toy looks like:




You can either put a can of beer right in the middle part, or you can pour any liquid in w/any seasonings you may like. We had bottled beer so I used that. I rubbed the chicken with olive oil and sprinkled it with salt, pepper and garlic powder. I also cubed up some red skin potatoes and tossed those with salt, pepper, olive oil and fresh garlic. You place the chicken on the cylinder and I put the potatoes down around it. It goes on the grill on high indirect heat for an hour, and voila! It was cooked to perfection and so were the potatoes (they needed to be tossed about half way through).

I was so excited about making this, that I actually forgot to take a picture of it on the roaster and I didn't take a picture after I plated it because I couldn't wait to eat it. I did manage to take a picture before I carved it:





No comments: