Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Mmmmmmmmeat sauce!


You can't go wrong with spaghetti and meat sauce. It is so simple, classic and delicious. I made a big pot of sauce a few weeks ago and froze some of it to use this week. We're going on vacation tomorrow so I wanted something easy to make tonight. My meat sauce is very basic:

2 links turkey Italian sausage
1 lb. of ground beef
couple cloves of garlic
1 bottle of marinara sauce (my husband only likes Ragu)
1 big can crushed tomatoes
Seasonings (oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes).

I remove the sausage from it's casings and brown in a pan with the ground beef and garlic. In the meantime, I start a pot going with the marinara sauce and tomatoes. I season the sauce with salt, pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, and a little Italian seasoning mix. Once the meat is browned, I add it to the sauce mixture, cover and then let simmer for about an hour and a half. The sauce is better if you let it sit overnight and serve the following day for dinner.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I have yet to tackle my own sauce, I think I will soon!