Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Cream Cheese Chicken....one of our faves!


I got this recipe from nestie MaryEllen several months ago, and it's been a favorite of ours ever since. I make it slightly different than the original recipe but that's the beauty of this recipe - you can adapt it to how you like it and it always comes out great! We like it served over simple steamed brown rice and tonight we had some steamed broccoli on the side. And at approximately 350 calories per serving, it is healthy to boot!

Chicken with Cream Cheese Sauce (Adapted from recipe of Nestie MaryEllen)

Ingredients

3 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1.5 cups chicken broth
4-8 cloves garlic
Red pepper flakes
4 oz reduced fat cream cheese
1.5 tbs flour
2 tsp white wine

Directions

Dice chicken into 1 inch pieces and season with salt and pepper (I usually do onion and garlic powder as well). Heat olive oil in a large pan and add chicken. After a few minutes, add crushed garlic. Cook chicken until browned on all sides then remove chicken from pan. Cover with foil to keep warm. Combine flour with wine and chicken broth, and stir until dissolved. Add to pan and scrape up any bits from the bottom. Heat sauce until bubbly and starts to thicken, then add cream cheese. Whisk until smooth. After 2-3 minutes, add chicken back to pan along with any juices that accumulated while resting. Let cook for another 2-3 minutes. This is great served over rice.

And for dessert, a bowl of delicious ripe berries with a generous spoonful of Cool Whip! So simple yet so delicoius. I know a lot of you probably aren't fans of Cool Whip, but at 25 calories per serving it's a great way for me to make my sweet tooth happy without upsetting my hips!






3 comments:

Carrie said...

I love this sauce! Looks like a great meal.

Deborah said...

Alas, I have yet to try the CC Chicken - I'm behind the times! I'll have to try it soon. :)

~Amber~ said...

I love the cream cheese chicken too. Looks wonderful.